Darcy Merkur is a highly regarded Ontario Trauma Lawyer helping accident victims (such as pedestrians, cyclists & motorists sustaining catastrophic injuries).
Darcy is proud to be one of just four plaintiff’s personal injury lawyers in Ontario with all of the following credentials:
- Certified Specialist in Civil Litigation by the Law Society of Ontario
- recognized as an expert in personal injury litigation in The Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory
- recognized as an expert in personal injury litigation in The Best LawyersTMin Canada
- recognized as AV Preeminent® in Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™, and
- is a partner at a Top 10 Personal Injury Law Firm in Canada according to Canadian Lawyer Magazine.
In addition, Darcy is the first lawyer in Canada to be qualified as a Certified Brain Injury Specialist by the Brain Injury Association of America.
client video testimonials
In addition to being certified by the Law Society of Ontario as a specialist in Civil Litigation, Darcy has been recognized by his peers in both The Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory as a consistently recommended leading lawyer in Personal Injury representing Plaintiffs and in The Best Lawyers™ in Canada in the field of Personal Injury Litigation. As well, Darcy was the proud recipient of the 2011 Dean Edgell Award, presented by the Ontario Trial Lawyers Association for Darcy’s significant contribution and excellence in legal writing, continuing legal education, and leadership activities. His reputation as a leader in the personal injury field was acknowledged in a Toronto Sun article on auto insurance where Darcy was referred to as “one of the province’s leading personal injury lawyers”.
As a trauma lawyer, Darcy handles a multitude of complex, serious personal injury cases on behalf of accident victims and their families and has had some great successes. In a personal injury jury trial involving an adolescent acquired brain injury accident victim, Darcy helped achieve such an outstanding result for the accident victim that the trial judge made a rare premium award to him and his co-counsel. In doing so, the trial judge noted that Darcy had “gained a great deal of expertise in personal injury litigation”.
While most of Darcy’s work involves assisting Ontario motor vehicle accident victims including catastrophically impaired pedestrians and cyclists hit by cars, Darcy has had the privilege of assisting hundreds of victims of sexual abuse. His exceptional work on behalf of victims of sexual abuse was recognized by an Adjudicator in the Aboriginal Residential School Independent Assessment Process. In the decision, the Adjudicator wrote that, “the professionalism, advocacy and solicitor-client relationship displayed by Mr. Merkur during the course of the hearing was exemplary.”
Darcy has also built a reputation as an innovator in the personal injury field. He has designed a revolutionary computer program for use in quantifying personal injury claims and his product is now available for sale through the legal publisher Carswell under the title “The Ontario Personal Injury Damages Calculator”. The program can also be used to quantify the value of past and future accident benefits available under the Statutory Accident Benefits Schedule (SABS), such as attendant care benefits, income replacement benefits, medical and rehabilitation benefits and other benefits available in cases of catastrophic impairment. The program is instrumental for accurately evaluating compensation in car accident cases, slip and fall cases, slip and fall cases and other negligence cases.
Darcy Merkur’s Personal Injury Damages Calculator
Darcy passionately supports the rights of accident victims. Through his previous involvement with the Brain Injury Society of Toronto and, in particular, the Brain Injury Awareness Month planning committee, he has tried to help raise public awareness of the difficulties faced by head injury victims.
Darcy was instrumental in the multi-billion dollar Aboriginal Residential School class action settlement — the largest class action settlement in Canadian history
- Bachelor of Commerce, McGill University (1995)
- Bachelor of Laws, Osgoode Hall Law School (1998)
Professional Accreditations and Affiliations
- Certified Specialist (Civil Litigation)
- Certified Brain Injury Specialist by the Brain Injury Association of America
- LEXPERT® Ranked Lawyer
- Listed in The Best Lawyers™ in Canada since 2013
- Martindale-Hubbell® Ranked Lawyer, AV Preeminent®
- Previously on the Board of Directors for the Ontario Trial Lawyers Association between 2015 through 2018
- Personal Injury Advisory Board for Practical Law Canada (a Carswell/Thomson, Reuters service)
- Past Co-Chair of the Brain Injury Awareness Month Planning Committee, a committee of the Brain Injury Society of Toronto
- Recipient of the 2011 Dean Edgell Award, presented by the Ontario Trial Lawyers Association
- Member of the Ontario Trial Lawyers Association
- Member of the Advocates’ Society
- Member of the American Association for Justice
- Member of the Canadian Bar Association
- Member of the Ontario Bar Association
- Member of FAIR (Fair Association of Victims for Accident Insurance Reform)