Being injured in a car accident in Ontario can be devastating. It’s important for you to know that there are a number of issues that you need to be addressed early in order to protect yourself or a loved one.
Steps to Take If You Have Been Injured in a Car Accident:
- Ensure that the police have been informed about the accident;
- Record the names and addresses of the other motorists involved in the accident, along with the names and addresses of any witnesses;
- Inform your family doctor of the accident and your injuries;
- Notify your Accident Benefits insurance company within 7 days;
- Notify your employer or school;
- Record the names and contact information of any treating health care professionals
- Check for access to other insurance coverage (i.e. through your work, school or private plans);
- Keep receipts, dates and records of all related expenses for both you and your family members (i.e. parking, hotel costs, days off work, time spent caring for the injured person, etc.);and,
- Contact one of Thomson, Rogers’ Personal Injury Lawyers to ensure your legal rights are protected.
Be aware of deadlines. In many cases, you only have two years from the date of the car accident to start a lawsuit against the at-fault party; otherwise, you may be prevented from starting a lawsuit.
Am I Entitled to Accident Benefits?
YES – Anyone injured in a car accident is automatically entitled to Accident Benefits. Accident Benefits are available whether you were driving, were a passenger in a vehicle, or were a pedestrian hit by a motor vehicle. These benefits are also available even if the accident was your fault.
Making an Accident Benefits claim does not affect your insurance rates.
Right to Obtain Compensation from At-Fault Persons
You and your family may have the right to obtain compensation from anyone that was potentially responsible for the accident. These claims against at-fault persons are over and above any Accident Benefits that you may be entitled to receive.
Related Resources if you have been injured in a Car Accident: