Deanna Gilbert, a partner at Thomson Rogers, participated in a panel of distinguished plaintiff and defence counsel for a lively discussion and insights into recent developments in the law, including:
- The benefits and drawbacks of juries in civil cases and efforts to expand the right to challenge civil jurors for cause;
- The Court of Appeal’s decisions in the Cobb and El-Khodr appeals, which resolved outstanding questions about pre-judgment interest rates and the statutory deductible applicable in motor vehicle accident cases;
- The admissibility of surveillance evidence;
- Insurance coverage denials for non-cooperation from insureds and strategies for plaintiff and defence lawyers; and
- Limitations imposed by the Law Society on marketing legal services, referral fees, and contingency fee agreements.