Personal Injury Lawyer: Helping Those With Traumatic Injuries Requiring Hospitalization
Darcy Merkur is a trauma lawyer with over 20 years experience helping people in Toronto and throughout Ontario that have had a prolonged stay in a trauma hospital (like Sunnybrook Hospital, St. Michael’s Hospital or Sick Kids Hospital) following an accident.
If your family is sleeping at a trauma hospital worried about you, then you may want to reach out to Darcy to see if he can help. If you or your loved one has suffered a significant brain injury (such as one involving a coma) or has suffered major orthopaedic and/or spinal cord injuries (like where surgery is required) then contact Darcy Merkur at Thomson Rogers. Darcy provides absolutely free no-obligation consults to anyone, anytime.
Potential clients are often scared to call a lawyer. And when they finally do they get stuck navigating through various receptionists before ever getting to talk to an actual lawyer.
Darcy’s approach is different.
Darcy believes in a personal touch. He answers his own phone and fields client inquiries instantaneously through:
- Text: (416) 996-7677
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: (416) 868-3176
Try contacting Darcy Merkur directly and be impressed with how quickly he responds!
Darcy believes your questions should be answered within minutes – not days nor hours – because he knows accident victims and their families can’t always wait to get answers to their important questions about insurance coverage and hospital discharge plans.
Not only does Darcy understand your legal rights, but he strives to understand your injuries as well. For example, to better understand brain injuries, Darcy became the only lawyer in Canada qualified as a Certified Brain Injury Specialist by the Brain Injury Association of America.
Darcy’s focus is on helping clients recover from their injuries. When potential clients ask Darcy how much their case is worth, Darcy shifts their focus to be on helping their loved one recover. He would prefer his clients to make a great recovery and receive fair compensation than receive massive compensation as a result of a poor recovery.
Darcy facilitates his clients’ recovery by using his more than 20 years experience to personally assemble a rehabilitation team to assist his clients and by ensuring that the responsible insurance companies fund everything along the way.
Darcy’s clients love his positivity, responsiveness and approach to keeping them fully and regularly informed.
While Darcy handles all types of personal injury claims, he spends most of his time assisting catastrophically injured motorists. Darcy has extensive experience helping seriously injured children and teenagers, helping motorcycle accident victims, helping injured pedestrians and helping families of fatality victims.
Darcy’s credentials are impeccable. He is proud to be one of only several plaintiff’s personal injury lawyers in Ontario with all of the following credentials:
- Certified Specialist in Civil Litigation by the Law Society of Ontario
- Recommended as an expert in personal injury litigation in The Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory
- Recognized as an expert in personal injury litigation in The Best Lawyers™ in Canada
- Recognized as AV Preeminent® in Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™
- Recognized as a Platinum Client Champion® in Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™
- Is a partner at a Top 10 Personal Injury Law Firm in Canada according to Canadian Lawyer Magazine
- Is a partner at one of the Best Law Firms in Canada in Personal Injury Litigation as recognized by The Globe and Mail 2022
Darcy takes great pride in his reputation in the legal industry. He personally developed the Ontario Personal Injury Damages Calculator used by hundreds of personal injury lawyers in Ontario to help quantify the value of personal injury claims.
Darcy has helped obtain some incredible personal injury results. For example, Darcy, along with his partner Craig Brown of Thomson Rogers, received an extremely successful jury verdict of $3.5 million on behalf of a teenage brain injury accident victim. The Judge acknowledge the marvellous job done by Darcy and Craig advocating on behalf of the injured victim and his family. In fact, the Judge awarded Darcy and Craig a very rare $100,000 costs premium for having achieved an outstanding result (2006 CanLII 24128 (ON S.C.)).
Darcy welcomes hearing from you. Call him and see if he can help.
client video testimonials
Darcy Merkur’s Personal Injury Damages Calculator
Darcy has also built a reputation as an innovator in the personal injury field. He has designed a revolutionary computer program for use in quantifying personal injury claims and his product is now available for sale through the legal publisher Carswell under the title “The Ontario Personal Injury Damages Calculator”. The program can also be used to quantify the value of past and future accident benefits available under the Statutory Accident Benefits Schedule (SABS), such as attendant care benefits, income replacement benefits, medical and rehabilitation benefits and other benefits available in cases of catastrophic impairment. The program is instrumental for accurately evaluating compensation in car accident cases, slip and fall cases, slip and fall cases and other negligence cases.
Darcy was instrumental in the multi-billion dollar Aboriginal Residential School class action settlement — the largest class action settlement in Canadian history
- Bachelor of Commerce, McGill University (1995)
- Bachelor of Laws, Osgoode Hall Law School (1998)
Professional Accreditations and Affiliations
- Certified Specialist (Civil Litigation)
- Certified Brain Injury Specialist by the Brain Injury Association of America
- LEXPERT® Ranked Lawyer
- Listed in The Best Lawyers™ in Canada since 2013
- Martindale-Hubbell® Ranked Lawyer, AV Preeminent®
- Previously on the Board of Directors for the Ontario Trial Lawyers Association between 2015 through 2018
- Personal Injury Advisory Board for Practical Law Canada (a Carswell/Thomson, Reuters service)
- Past Co-Chair of the Brain Injury Awareness Month Planning Committee, a committee of the Brain Injury Society of Toronto
- Recipient of the 2011 Dean Edgell Award, presented by the Ontario Trial Lawyers Association
- Member of the Ontario Trial Lawyers Association
- Member of the Advocates’ Society
- Member of the Canadian Bar Association
- Member of the Ontario Bar Association
- Member of the American Association for Justice
- Member of FAIR (Fair Association of Victims for Accident Insurance Reform)