After 44 years with Thomson Rogers, David Neill retired from the firm in 2017.
If you are seeking a consultation with another qualified personal injury lawyer, please click here.
Clients with catastrophic injuries could count on a sympathetic, but objective, appraisal when they met David Neill, one of Canada’s most experienced personal injury litigators. David had a distinctive background, having defended insurance companies during the first 15 years of his practice. Later, he worked almost exclusively to help the injured, mostly motor vehicle accident victims, secure compensation for their pain and suffering.
“Most of my clients can never recover all that they have lost, but I feel great personal satisfaction in helping them get a financial settlement that will make their lives somewhat easier,” said David, who was with Thomson Rogers since 1974.
“I am prepared to take on cases that have high risk,” added David, “but I would rather refuse a case that has no hope than put a client through the further ordeal of an unsuccessful lawsuit. But if there is merit in the case, I’m inclined to take the risk.”
Among David’s specialties were cases involving traumatic brain injuries and spinal cord injuries.
David took pride in helping people who really needed it, especially since access to the justice system is so difficult for so many people.
David’s years defending insurers made him a more effective litigator. “I know what makes a successful claim,” he said. As well, David didn’t “burn any bridges” with the insurers he once helped, a factor that helped facilitate a successful negotiated settlement.
David had the honour of having been selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in Canada® in the field of Personal Injury Litigation, and in the Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory as a repeatedly recommended leading lawyer in Personal Injury litigation representing Plaintiffs.
LexisNexis Martindale-Hubbell provided a special status to David R. Neill as an AV Preeminent® Rated Lawyer. The AV Peer Review RatingTM identifies lawyers with the highest rated legal ability and ethical standards, which is a reflection of his expertise, experience, integrity, and overall professional excellence.
- Personal Injury
- Medical Malpractice
- Product Liability
- Insurance Policy Interpretation and Coverage Opinions
- Bachelor of Arts, University of Guelph (1969)
- Bachelor of Laws, Osgoode Hall Law School (1972)
- ADR Workshop, University of Windsor Faculty of Law/Stitt Feld Handy Houston ADR Ltd. (2000)
Professional Accreditations and Affiliations
- Certified Specialist (Civil Litigation)
- The Advocates’ Society
- The Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Trial Lawyers Association
- The Medico-Legal Society of Toronto
- Past Director of The Ontario Brain Injury Association (OBIA)
- LEXPERT Ranked Lawyer
- Listed in Best Lawyers® Canada
- Martindale-Hubbell Ranked Lawyer
- Thomson Rogers has been recognized as one of Canada’s Top 5 Personal Injury Law Firms by Canadian Lawyer Magazine
- Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America