Matt’s practice focuses on personal injury litigation.
Before joining Thomson Rogers in 2019, Matt was a partner of a well-respected insurance defence firm and practiced exclusively in the area of insurance defence litigation for over a decade. His practice included all areas of insurance litigation, including first and third party claims and disputes between insurers such as loss transfer and priority disputes.
Matt’s change in focus stems from his desire to help people receive the compensation they need to aide in their recovery.
Matt’s experience includes, but is not limited to, motor vehicle accidents, slip & falls, fire loss and injury, product liability, and commercial host and occupier’s liability claims involving all levels of injury including catastrophic claims.
Matt has experience in all facets of the litigation and statutory accident benefit claims process: from the moment someone is unfortunately injured, through the commencement of their claim and/or application, right up until resolution or hearing. He regularly appears before the Ontario Superior Court of Justice and the License Appeal Tribunal.
Matt also acts on behalf of lawyers and paralegals in regulatory proceedings before the Law Society Tribunal.
- Bachelor of Arts (Honours), Queen’s University (2003)
- Bachelor of Law (LL.B.), University of Windsor (2006)
- Juris Doctorate (J.D.), University of Detroit Mercy School of Law (2006)
Professional Accreditations and Affiliations
- The Advocates’ Society
- Ontario Bar Association/Canadian Bar Association
- Toronto Lawyer’s Association
- Cambridge Club
- Past member of the Canadian Defence Lawyers
- Member of FAIR (Fair Association of Victims for Accident Insurance Reform)
- J.T. v. Wawanesa Mutual Inusrance Company, 2019 LAT 18-002690
- Jonathan Leduc-Moreau v. Echelon General Insurance Company, 2016 FSCO A12-004919
- Naamo v. Axa Insurance, 2014 FSCO A13-003753
- Nga Thanh Tran v. TD Home & Auto insurance Company, 2014 FSCO A12-004354
When not in the office, Matt can often be found with his nose in a good book or watching a Star Wars movie for the umpteenth time, but is most happy spending time with his wife, Kathryn, and his three children: Hayden, Edwin and Charlie.