Robert’s primary practice is representing and obtaining compensation for victims of traumatic brain injury, spinal cord injury, and serious orthopaedic and other injuries, as well as those who have suffered wrongful death. He represents clients throughout Ontario in cases that involve:
- Vehicular negligence (including automobile, motorcycle, bicycle, ATV, snowmobile and boating accidents)
- Municipal liability (negligent road design, maintenance/repair, snow, and ice removal)
- Class actions
- Daycare negligence
- Nursing home negligence
- COVID-19 business interruption insurance
- Commercial host liability (over-service of alcohol)
- Occupier’s liability (property owner negligence)
- Products liability (defective consumer products causing injury)
- Insurance claims (accident benefits, long-term disability benefits and insurer’s bad faith handling of claims)
Robert brings a unique perspective to his representation of personal injury victims having spent the early part of his legal career defending numerous large insurance companies against personal injury and other claims. That experience, together with his prior training as a social worker, makes him highly effective in maximizing compensation for his clients and allows him to appreciate the challenges and struggles they face as a result of their life-altering injuries.
Robert is experienced and at home in the courtroom, having appeared as counsel in numerous complex and contentious jury and non-jury trials in the Ontario Superior Court of Justice, as well as on appeals in the Divisional Court, the Court of Appeal for Ontario, and the Supreme Court of Canada.
Robert understands that achieving results for his clients requires not only skill and intelligence, but also passion, creativity, perseverance, and, above all else, hard work.
Robert also practices in the field of Education law.
- Juris Doctor, University of Toronto, Faculty of Law (2002)
- Bachelor of Social Work, York University, School of Social Work (1999)
- Bachelor of Arts, University of Toronto (1995)
Professional Accreditations and Affiliations
- Listed in The Best LawyersTM in Canada since 2018
- Martindale-Hubbell® Ranked Lawyer, AV Preeminent®
- LEXPERT® Ranked Lawyer
- Member, Board of Directors, Ontario Trial Lawyers Association
- The Advocates’ Society
- Canadian Bar Association
- Toronto Lawyer’s Association
- Canadian Civil Liberties Association
- Ontario Association of Social Workers (past)
- Member, Board of Directors, Brain Injury Association of Peel and Halton (past)
- Executive, High Park Little League (past)
- Member of FAIR (Fair Association of Victims for Accident Insurance Reform)
Follow me @RobertMBen