Don’t be scared. This is just a reminder that today is Halloween! You might have been celebrating over the weekend, but the kiddies will be out on the streets come this evening. That means drivers need to take extra care when navigating the streets. On the same note, it’s also the perfect opportunity to teach your kids about street safety and being safe as pedestrians.
Halloween happens to be one of the most dangerous times of the year for pedestrians.
Here are some tips for drivers and pedestrians to stay safe this year:
· Be cautious and watch for children and their parents; many costumes are made of black material and can make it hard to spot pedestrians crossing the street
· Yield to pedestrians crossing the street
· Obey traffic lights
· Kids under 12 should trick or treat with adult supervision
· Wear reflective items as it is more visible to drivers
· Always cross at designated pedestrian crossings
· Be aware of your surroundings as Halloween distractions can increase the chances of being struck by a car
· Walking impaired can be just as dangerous as drunk driving
· Try to avoid using masks… they impair vision.
Happy Halloween from your friends at Thomson Rogers!