Out of Province Motor Vehicle Accidents – Am I Covered?

Update May 2019 One of the biggest concerns for Ontario motorists travelling outside Ontario is whether their insurance will cover their claims should they become involved in out of province motor vehicle accidents. This is a significant concern. Unlike Ontario which requires motorists to carry a minimum of $200,000.00 of liability coverage, in the USA most states do not require motorists to carry a minimum amount of liability insurance. The effect is that many motorists in the USA have little or no insurance coverage.   Are You Insured in Ontario?   Fortunately, if you are operating a motor vehicle outside of Ontario, you are covered as long as you have Ontario car insurance or if you are considered to be an “insured person” under some family members' Ontario automobile policy. The standard Ontario motor vehicle policy contains several important safeguards in the event of a motor vehicle operator or passenger being injured outside of ...

Also in this Issue

March 2018 ABR Updater: Issue 44


On December 6, 2017, Adjudicator Go confirmed that an insured is entitled to be paid attendant care benefit regardless of whether the ...  Continue

View Archive


To receive Thomson Rogers’ newsletter the Accident Benefit Reporter, and information on upcoming conferences and events, please provide us with your name and email below. You can unsubscribe at any time.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.